Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pre-Half

I am packing for a little weekend trip. No big deal, just driving over to Nashville to visit some friends.

Oh right. And run 13.1 miles.

On May 19, 2011, I posted that I ran ONE MILE.  In July, I started training for a 5K. I ran 2 that fall - one in September, and one in October. In February, I ran 6.2 miles on a snowy morning in my first 10K.
And in 2 days, I will be running 13.1 miles.

IN ONE YEAR - I have gone from someone who didn't know that she could run a mile to someone who knows she can run 13. I haven't done it yet, but I ran 10 miles last weekend and could have kept going. Don't get me wrong, I was tired and ready to stop, but I physically could have kept going without dying. So, let's rely on some race-day endorphins, people on the sidelines cheering me on, and a couple of gels and I'll be good to go!! (For you non-runners, gels are like little energy shots that give you electrolytes and stuff.)

I am not at my goal weight. I'm not anywhere near it. But I know I am in shape and I know that I can push myself to my physical limit. It is AMAZING what you can do with some determination and hard work. If I can do this, ANYONE CAN. I hated running. I never thought I could/would do this in my entire life. If you had asked me 3 years ago if I would 1) drive 6 hours round trip 2) wake up at 5am and 3) train for months 4) give up my favorite weekend in Texas (Denton Arts and Jazz) just to THEN run 13 miles - I would have laughed in your face and called you a crazy person. And while I am not thrilled about some of those things, I am still doing it! I will not be at Denton Arts for the first time in 5 years, and I will sincerely miss the fun to be had there. But I know will look back on this weekend and not remember that I missed something fun. I will remember that I challenged myself and accomplished something amazing.

I can't thank you all enough. I can't thank YOU enough. Can't wait to send you post-race thoughts. <3<3<3

No comments:

Post a Comment