Thursday, March 11, 2010

Surround Yourself

In honor of today's "health tip" thingy I have added to this blog, I want to talk about the importance of surrounding yourself with people and things that remind you to be healthy. Today it was just that - "Surround yourself with people and things that remind you to stay healthy." I've tried this diet thing so many times, but I think one of the main reasons it's working this time is because I'm not afraid to talk about it. Everyone important in my life knows that I'm dieting, and it's like having a little angel on my shoulder all the time, reminding me to eat healthy. Whereas before, I was almost afraid to tell people I was dieting in case I failed. NOW I know I'm succeeding and I plan on continuing to succeed, so everyone knows! And since everyone knows, no one is mean enough to encourage me to order dessert or french fries or a cheeseburger.

If you feel like you're dieting alone, and you feel like you can "get away" with eating whatever you want when no one's around, imagine me sitting next to you. Or imagine someone that you want to inspire to start losing weight. What would they think of you eating that? I know when I was struggling I imagined my friend Brittany (who lost 10 pounds in her first 3 weeks of Weight Watchers!!) sitting with me at every meal. It really helped me eat healthy when I was dying to go for that pizza. Or perhaps you're struggling to continue dieting because you're starting to feel comfortable at your current weight. Remind yourself why you started dieting in the first place - was it just to lose weight? Or was it to make your body and lifestyle healthier? Put a note on your fridge/pantry door/secret drawer of emergency candy that says something that inspires you, that might keep you away from unhealthy foods. Here are things that I think - I'm changing my life. TODAY is tomorrow - tomorrow will never come if I don't start today. Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels. You only get one body - make it last!!
Things like that - though they may be cheesy and motivational speaker-ish - they remind me WHY I'M HERE. When I was feeling unmotivated, I went back and read my first entry in this blog. I've been feeling so good lately, I almost forgot how horrible it feels to be fat and to feel like you're stuck there.

No matter where you are in your weight loss journey, it's possible that you'll hit a bump in the road. Remember that you're never alone on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment