Monday, January 17, 2011

Starting Over Again

"I've gone for too long living like I'm not alive. So I'm gonna start over tonight." - Paramore

This week has been like a review in how to REALLY be on Weight Watchers. Logging points, working out, and being honest with myself (and ww.com) about what I've been eating and drinking. I let myself slide for way too long because I thought I "knew" how to lose weight. I thought I was above counting - and I know why I got there. I was thinking like I did when I had been on the last diet, and I had successfully lost weight for 3 consecutive months. I COULD do all the calculations in my head. So I thought I could still do that, 4 years later. Good luck - especially since WW completely revitalized their points system this year. I was just kidding myself.

Paramore has been my go town workout music lately - and this lyric caught me while I was on the treadmill today. When you're overweight, you're living a half life. You're living a life of "I wish" - I wish I was a size 6. I wish I could go running with my friends. Etc. A lot of times, you don't even REALIZE how miserable you are until you change. I want to live the life that I deserve to live - not the one I'm stuck living because of my health. So here comes the change - I've gone for too long.

Since Thursday, I've worked out 4 days. I have diligently been logging everything I put in my mouth - including alcohol. (It matters, people. TRUST ME.) I've been eating salad or fruit at every meal except occasionally breakfast. I cooked on Saturday night, and last Tuesday I tried a new chicken recipe. Which was DELICIOUS! And super easy. Here it is for you wanna-be-chefs like me:

Grilled Rosemary Chicken

2 tbsp minced fresh rosemary (or the jar stuff, it still tastes good)
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced (or season to taste with garlic powder)
1/4 tsp salt
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)

1. Spray cold grid of grill or pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk together rosemary, lemon juice, oil, garlic & salt in medium bowl. Add chicken breasts in, making sure to coat both sides of chicken in the mixture. Cover; marinate in fridge 15 minutes, turning chicken once. (I didn't marinate mine this long and they still tasted great. Your call.)
3. Grill chicken over medium heat 5-6 minutes per side or until chicken is no longer pink.

And that's it! Add some grilled/steamed veggies or a salad and you have a delicious meal! Brown rice or wheat toast is a great complex carb if you want to add one.

I'm actually excited to weigh in this week. THAT hasn't happened in . . . . um . . . well, awhile anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment